Pages

Friday, July 10, 2009

Taking Root

A good friend of mine went to family camp last week and had none other then Gary Smalley as her keynote speaker.  Needless to say, she left inspired and with a pocketful of gems to marinate on long after camp was over.

One thing she shared with me that Mr. Smalley shared with them, was the idea of mediating on a piece of Scripture for a long period, such a two weeks.  Truly letting the chosen text sink in deep and take root.

This resonated with me, as I have trouble memorizing Scripture, and also because I tend to try to "drink from a fire hose" if you will, and get in over my head.  The concept of taking a small piece of His Truth and giving myself time to assimilate it into the very deep parts of me was almost revolutionary (even though it's truly quite simple).

From Mark 9, a conversation between Christ and a father whose son is in dire need of Jesus's touch (I encourage you to look it up and get the full context for sure):

22 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.” 

23 ” ‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for him who believes.” 

24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” 

So that's what I am going to spend some quality time with.  I am going to ponder it, pray it and wrestle with it.  It's always been one of my favs and it is exactly where I am right now in several areas of my life... 

I can't wait to see the way God nestles this into my heart...


No comments: