Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What Makes Sense

I am often bound to what makes sense. I will do something if it makes sense. I will back away if it doesn't. I suppose there are times when things should make sense...when rational thought and a list of pros and cons should help us make our choices. But it stands to reason that there are times when we should act on faith. Take a leap. Just do it.

It sort of makes me wonder...what have I missed out on for the sake of making sense? Does what God wants me to do always "make sense" in the way that making sense, makes sense to me??? (a cyber high five goes out to anyone who understood that last sentence). After all, His ways are not our ways (from Isaiah 55: "I don't think the way you think. The way you work isn't the way I work." God's Decree. "For as the sky soars high above earth, so the way I work surpasses the way you work, and the way I think is beyond the way you think.")

I would like to be more willing to jump in to something that presents itself that seems like it might be from God. I would like to be up for the adventure that life is (or is supposed to be.) But I fear I often turn adventure into formula.

I have a friend who is applying to be a missionary thousands of miles away. She will be leaving a secure job to journey into the unknown. Some other friends I know packed up their sweet family of 5 and moved to Nicaragua, because they have a heart for loving on and showing Christ to the people there. I am guessing those choices didn't always make sense, at least in the way that we understand it.

But it's other things too. The day to day. In college, I had a group of friends who took a road trip to Utah to go hiking over Spring Break. What did I chose to do instead? I stayed home and worked on some papers that would come due in my classes because that made more sense. Even yesterday, the hubs took the boys to Carlsbad Caverns while I worked. I would have never done that because it doesn't make sense to squeeze in a trip like that when the boys would have been just as happy at home. (can we say killjoy?)

My husband, my friends...they are on to something.

I want to get there too.


No comments: