Pages

Friday, October 29, 2010

Sin Richter Scale???


Is there a Richter scale for sin?

Theologically, I would say no. I would say sin is sin. All have sinned. It separates us from God. It's penalty is death. BUT Jesus came to seek and save us, to die for our sin and pay the penalty for sin ONCE AND FOR ALL. That if we ask him to forgive us and invite him to be Lord of our life, he will make our sin white as snow.

This is what I believe. This is what I would proclaim I believe. BUT I have to admit, even though I hate to, that inside me lurks an ugliness. An ugliness that subconsciously ranks sin...puts it in order of "badness." Ranks it on some ridiculous Richter Scale that makes sense to my feeble mind... Lying isn't as bad a murder. Slander isn't as bad as adultery. I know I sin, but at least I've never stolen anything... blah, blah, blah

YET, Scripture doesn't rank sin. Sin is sin and it ALL separates us from God. Moreover, it has ALL been paid for by a loving Savior. ALL of it.

Why am I even talking about this? Because I read a blog by one of my favs, Carlos Whitaker, that stirred the ugliness in me and made it rise on up to the surface. Made me face my stupid Richter Scale, and made me ask myself some hard questions... Do I really believe what I say I believe in regards to sin? Do I really believe Jesus paid the price for all sin. Do I really believe in the redemptive power of Christ's forgiveness? Do I believe everyone can come to a place of peace and forgiveness, no matter where their sin ranks on my stupid, stupid Richter Scale?

As hard as it is to face my own ugliness, I am thankful every time I look it square in the eye and get it into the Light.

I invite you to read the blog post that got up in my kitchen and stirred my ugliness in the first place. Drop me a line and let me know what it stirred in you.




No comments: