Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Introducing My New Best Friend...

I want you guys to meet my new best friend. I *think* she's a she. I *know* she is reliable, helps me out in a crunch and she smells awesome. Plus, my husband and sons LOVE her!

Without further ado, meet Crock Pot:




I am not kidding when I say life has taken it up a notch in the busy-ness department. I am finding that I roll in the door from work and the kids have to be somewhere in under an hour. This leaves barely any cook time, which leads to poor quality meals and lots of processed foods. Ick.

This is where Crock Pot comes in. If I can plan ahead (which I can), and if I can allow 5 to 10 extra minutes in the morning for prep time (let's face it, that amounts to me NOT pushing snooze), I can get Crock Pot going, and she will gladly cook my meal for me all day. I walk in that afternoon, make a quick salad and maybe an easy side and dinner is made.

It's a beautiful relationship indeed.

I have discovered many other busy moms who have a similar best friend and we like to share recipes. Check out these: Pepperoncini Beef (shout out goes to Jenn), Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie, and Chicken Taco Soup (thanks, Ali).

I would love to hear YOUR recipes... Look at it this way, it will only strengthen my relationship with my best friend. (And if I'm being honest, she has a complex about needing to be useful. Something about feeling like she's being put away on a shelf, blah, blah, blah). Plus, there is a handy comment section below just waiting to be filled with your culinary genius!

xoxo,
Mindy

edit: one recipe I love but don't have a link for is pork chops: I use bone in pork chops, 4 to 5, put them in crock pot with equal parts Teriyaki sauce and Dr. Pepper, enough to cover. Cook on low all day and sprinkle with pepper when ready to serve. Really yummy...got the idea from my bro-in-law, who cooks his in a smoker.


4 comments:

Mimi said...

don't know about culinary genius, but we make this a lot.
http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotsoup/r/bl43c14.htm
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. I cook the noodles separately, they can even be made ahead too, if you toss them with a little oil and put them in the fridge. they will stay soft and you can add them in and they warm right up.

We're Blessed said...

This lady has a TON of incredible recipes for the crockpot!!!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Ali said...

i will never, ever, ever introduce my crockpot to your crockpot. i'm afraid they would fall in love and run off together - and then BOTH of our lives would be ruined.

so, don't worry. you keep your on your counter and i'll keep mine on mine.

Georgia Thomsen said...

I have the BEST recipe...
Chicken and Dumplings.

* 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
* 1 onion, finely diced
* 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces

Directions

1. Place the chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover.
2. Cover, and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

Love ya,
Georgia