Pages

Monday, December 8, 2008

Choosing Your Battles


Last nite in small group, during our parenting study we are doing, one girl brought up the idea of "choosing your battles" with your children. She quoted someone who said, "When you choose your battle, be sure it's one you can win."


I love that quote and it gave me chills...not unusual, quotes often give me chills...I adore profoundness!


Anyway, I like the idea of choosing my battles. If I don't, what results (in my mind anyway) is 24-7 harping on and badgering of my kids. This results in (again...in my mind anyway) me becoming Charlie Brown's parents to them. "Mwa, mwa, mwa, mwa, mwa-mwa...." If I am always "on" my kids do they really ever hear me, or does what comes out of my mouth go in one ear and out the other? Does my voice become tune-out-able, or like static in the background, or worse yet, something they can't really understand???


I want to be a wise chooser of my battles. I want to know what to hone in on with my boys and what to let go. What to be decisive about...you absolutely may not give up brushing your teeth b/c toothpaste is "spicy"; and what to give some leeway on...yes, you can wear that even though it doesn't match and is three inches too short for you. (ouch, that one hurts!)








No comments: